"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name...



What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1594


Unfortunately, I'm not so sure the same principle applies to books and their titles. I know this is probably awful to admit, but most of the time if a title doesn't appeal to me (regardless of the genre) I'll rarely pick a book up. (Unless a book has been recommended to me, then the title doesn't matter, I'll definitely give it a try.)

I know writers have disparate methods toward choosing titles. Sometimes they complete the work to find something that fits what they've written. Sometimes they think of a title and then write the story strong enough to fit it. And sometimes it's something in between.

In my poetry, and in the short stories I've written, I've used all three of the above mentioned methods. I'm sure most people have. But here's the thing. I can't think of a title for Project Jane. And it is driving me CRAZY!

I should be patient. I have no doubt that something will come to me. But I feel like there's an idea right on the tip of my tongue. And I can't pull it out. It has to be perfect. I've never whittled away at something for this long without figuring out what I want.

It has to be powerful. I'm thinking one word. And it has to be a word that can be followed by two or three more words - one to title each of the rest of the books in the series (since I'm planning for a trilogy or quartet).

I'm frustrated down to my core - but also excited because I KNOW the perfect name is out there. I just have to let it come to me.

Oh well. Back to writing!


PS Current word count is: 29,550!

me

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much about the title of your book at this stage. Why? Well, for me I must have changed the name dozens/if not hundreds of times. Having recently wrapped up my story, I was about to pull my hair out strand by strand in frustration, when it came to me. Boom, literally. It was so perfect I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me sooner.

    Don't stress. A fitting title will unfold before your very eyes when it's time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I do know that deep down... I think it's just because I keep feeling like it's just about to come to me... It's like when you know you have to sneeze, but it takes its time getting there, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Titles are important. If you feel you need one right now, then keep brainstorming, for that's always helpful!

    I am a fan of one word titles, in fact my open ended series is full of one word, or almost one word titles. ;) I found the titles by searching for the themes. Here are my first titles, they may get you thinking!

    Book 1: Inevitable
    Book 2: Deja Vu
    Book 3: Fallen

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)