"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Overheard

@ SCBWI LA! 

"Don't believe everything you hear." - Author Jon Scieszka, in regards to the industry and writing for children.

"The books that take us away from what we expect are what show us the world anew." - Author MT Anderson

"A pitch should include the page/word count, the first 15-20% of the plot, comparison to other writers, genre, and industry questions." - Agent Ginger Clark (Curtis Brown)

Senior Editor (Katherine Tegen Books, imprint of HarperCollins Childrens) Claudia Gabel looks for story inspiration all over (music, TV, movies, magazines, etc) and believes writers should too!

Agent Josh Adams (Adams Literary) explained the difference between preempts and auctions. (Preempts are meant to take a book--or books--off the table, an editor makes a bid high enough to keep others from bidding. At auctions, agents allow multiple editors to make bids on the book.)

"The best time of year to submit to an agent, is the time of year your book is ready." - Agent Lisa Grubka (Foundry Literary & Media)

"You want an agent who will aggressively market for subsidiary rights. If a publisher gets them, they take a cut on top of the agent's cut." - Agent Josh Adams (Adams Literary)


According to Author Gail Carson Levine, some of the best ways to create suspense are: time (pressure), distance (looming destination), thought (character worries turn into reader worries), action, separation, MC flaw, secondary character flaw, isolation, expectation (too high or too low), a test, a disaster, something lost...

"Learning to be a character physically changes the way the character thinks." - Author Rachel Vail

"Everything you do online should be friendly and professional." Agent Ginger Clark (Curtis Brown)

"Don't be careful what you wish for. Be proud of what you wish for!" - Author Carolyn Mackler

"You must know the rules before you can break them, but the rules are beginning to wiggle." - Publisher Francesco Sedita (Penguin Young Readers)

"I'll never tell an editor no if they truly love a book." - Publisher Justin Chanda (Simon & Schuster)

"Great story telling has been around for ages and will continue for ages." - Publisher Jennifer Hunt (Little Brown)

"Most successful authors develop after several books." - Publisher Stephanie Owens Lurie (Disney Hyperion)

"Write what you think is cool and release your inner child." - Publisher Stephanie Owens Lurie (Disney Hyperion)

"Timeless (writing) will always be timely." Agent Josh Adams (Adams Literary)

"Writing is a BITCH. But IThe CHair!" - Author Rachel Vail

"Agents have short attention spans. Grab them early, both in your query and in writing." - Agent Josh Adams (Adams Literary)



Okay. Any questions??

♥ me

19 comments:

  1. Hmmm, makes me think I need to be doing more listening. Great quotes you've gathered.
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this, Sara. You really nailed the best of the best of the inspiring moments that all writers can add to the tools in their toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I got to meet you :)

    And also I'm glad you posted this because it looks like you went to a few sessions I didn't go to and got a quote or two in from there, so...woot! I learned even more. I think my head hurts now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    Those comments sound great! =) I especially like Ginger Clark's advice. The more practical, the better, I say; I can usually get the inspirational stuff elsewhere.

    Thanks for sharing these, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, those are great words of wisdom from some awesome people. Thanks for sharing. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome - those are inpsiring :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some brilliant points to mull over. I'm really feeling inspired. Need to think of ways to buld suspense in my novel, so I'll be looking to Gail's comment. Thanks for sharing, Sara! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookmarking this post to re-read often! Thanks for sharing! It sounds like SCBWI was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great look at all the fab advice we got! Nice summary overall. So so glad I got to experience SCBWI with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, Sara! Thanks so much for sharing these gold nuggets with us. They are priceless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you compiled all these quotes from the conference!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Thanks for sharing all these quotes--they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pretty much say it all. :D

    I can't believe I wasn't already following you, Sarah. I thought I was. It was nice to meet you at the conference. Hopefully I'll see you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quotes! So glad we got to meet at the conference. I'm still floating on the afterglow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this amazing list of quotes and tips! So helpful for all aspiring writers!
    Steph the Book Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are some great quotes Sara. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, I love these quotes! So awesome that you got to go to SCBWI LA! Rachel Vail's quote about writing being a bitch is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. FANTASTIC quotes! Thanks for the round up!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)