"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Top Ten Fave Books of 2010

I wanted to do this before 2011 started, but I wasn't able to because of forgetting my cord and all that other stuff from my previous post. Even though the new year's started, I read a ton of amazing books last year (so weird to call 2010 last year already...) that I couldn't NOT mention my ten favorites!

For the record, my goal was to read 150 books last year. I reached 125, which isn't too bad :)

MY FAVORITES:

( * = books that came out in 2010)

10. Revolution*, by Jennifer Donnelly
9. The Marbury Lens*, by Andrew Smith
8. Paranormalcy*, by Kiersten White
7. Mockingjay*, by Suzanne Collins
6. Swim the Fly, by Don Calame
5. Will Grayson, Will Grayson*, by John Greene & David Levithan
4. Pathfinder*, by Orson Scott Card
3. Before I Fall*, by Lauren Oliver
2. Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher
1. The Sky Is Everywhere*, by Jandy Nelson
This book is SO SO SO good. You MUST read it.

Other books I enjoyed too much to keep from mentioning:

Matched*, Ally Condie
The Body Finder*, Kimberly Derting
Personal Demons*, Lisa Desrochers
Hex Hall*, Rachel Hawkins
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, E. Lockhart
The Ruby Oliver series, E. Lockhart


Other new favorite authors that I discovered in 2010:

Sarah Ockler
Philip Pullman
Suzanne Young


Additionally, I had the privilege of reading two books coming out this year before their release dates--and I really enjoyed them both, so I have to mention them! (PS they BOTH come out this month, so GET THEM!)

A Brush of Darkness, Allison Pang
Across the Universe, Beth Revis


So, tell me: what was your favorite book from 2010? (Whether or not it was actually published in 2010!)

16 comments:

  1. Paranormalcy is up the top, as well as Hex Hall. Most of those I haven't read, need to add them to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Hunger Games trilogy this year and that was my fave. Then Shiver/Linger and The Dead Tossed Waves.
    Impressive list and I just made a word doc for my TBR list so I can remember what books to get next (my other TBR list is in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was just working on a post about my favorite books of the year and The Sky Is Everywhere was my absolute favorite.

    My sister died when she was 16 and I was 19. It was like Jandy Nelson jumped into my head and wrote down all my feelings in a way I never could have. That made it hard to read, but oh so good to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sky Is Everywhere is in my favorites list as well. Jandy created some lovely quirky characters, her writing is beautiful perfection as is her voice. Loved it.

    Revolution is also in my top 10. I bow down to Jennifer's research mastery. She makes me feel like a slacker.

    So, that makes 2 YA books in my top 10 this year! :) And, both of them are in the top 5. But that's all I'll say about that, because it's post for next week. (see? I'm running farther behind than you.)

    Love your list and congrats on reading 125 books in '10! :)

    May your 2011 bring you great joy, my friend.
    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished up Marbury Lens... I really liked it... do you think theres going to be a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crap! I've only read one of these. I better get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Sky is Everywhere is next in my TBR pile. I've read nothing but good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished that one (SKY), and YES! We have very similar tastes, based on your list of faves, so I'll be coming back as soon as I'm done with all the books I got for Christmas to look for more good reads. Some of them are on your list, actually. Happy reading in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the Percy Jackson series this year, and they definitely top my list. I would also include Paranormalcy, ATU, The Scorch Trials, and Linger. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have definitely got to read The Sky is Everywhere. I keep meaning to but haven't gotten to it yet. I loved a lot of the same books as you. I also really enjoyed Incarceron and Anna and the French Kiss. And too many others! Oh, The Lost Saint was super good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had Before I Fall listed as #1 on mine and Thirteen Reasons Why as #2 but that may have been different if I had read The Sky is Everywhere. I'll be reading it this year though after seeing it on a lot of people's top reads of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only read 3 of your 10 books from 2010. Before I Fall was the first really good book I read last year. Will Grayson, Will Grayson was one of the three books I rated five stars, along with The Sky is Everywhere which was also my favourite read of the year. My other five star read was Sea by Heidi R. Kling, have you read that? It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to agree with you on The Sky Is Everywhere. I loved Fixing Delilah too. Adios, Nirvana was another good one. Will Grayson, Will Grayson was awesome. You and I have much the same taste in literature. We both like good books. :)
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most of your Top 10 list is pretty much the books I WISH I would have read in 2010. Especially The Sky Is Everywhere - I really, really need to pick that one up! Have you read Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins? It was my number 1 read of last year!

    Also, I tagged you: http://sammyjones57.blogspot.com/2011/01/sunday-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, honestly, my favorite book from last year had to have been Persuasion by Jane Austen. I read many fabulous books, but that one just came out on top. I guess it helped that Persuasion is also my very favorite movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just read Revolution and was really wowed by it! Great choices, several between the two lists are ones I've yet to read. I really liked The Cardturner by Louis Sachar too. I'm not sure how the bridge theme is going over with the target audience, but I got through it just fine!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)