It's my tongue. I can't seem to use it to form coherent sentences when asked about Project Jane.
Before I continue, let me tell you a little bit more about me:
- Public speaking? No problem. Let me prepare a speech and I can give it comfortably, with few nerves... (Or give me some alcohol and watch what happens... I become hilarious - it's true, I swear.)
- Quick thinking? Again - no real problem. I can solve math problems like a pro. (I did used to teach it after all.) And don't get me started on the amazing lies I told in high school, at the drop of many a dime, to get out of trouble... pretty much on a weekly basis.
- Project Jane? I am in love. I love my story and am really proud of what I've created.
- Synopses (that's plural for synopsis, btw)? Also no biggie. Ask me to write a description about the story in a clear and concise manner? I gotcha.
- Conversations? Granted, I'm nowhere near my husband who can talk the paint off a wall - but I can hold my own, for sure.
There's more though. I don't know what it is that keeps me incoherent when speaking about Project Jane. Is it that I love it too much - and I worry about any negative remarks? I don't think that's it... I can handle criticism. Is it that I don't have a clear idea regarding what the story is about? NO! I know this baby inside and out. Maybe I know it too well? IDK (my BFF Jill) (I just had to add that last part, ha - remember the commercial?)
Maybe it's the blonde in me. (I can say that - I'm a natural blonde... well - not naturally as blonde as the current color, but still.) Maybe I should just memorize the hook from my query and repeat it to people...
In any case, I have to get it together. What if I actually get picked up - published even? I'll have to be able to speak about it - in ways that make other people as excited about the book as I am. Too bad you can't go to a reading and just hand out note cards instead of verbally answering people's questions. OH. Or I could just speak in haiku... Sigh.
Does anyone else struggle with this? If so, how do YOU handle it?