Here's how it began:
One night I was really struggling with motivation while working on Shattered. I hopped on twitter and started chatting with other writers on #amwriting. (One of the three best twitter hashtags for writers, in my opinion, along with #yalitchat and #askagent.)
Usually, #amwriting really helps to spark motivation - there are SO many other writers to converse with! But on that particular night, everyone seemed to be struggling the same way that I was. Instead of motivating each other, we all were procrastinating (complaining even). But you see, I had a self-imposed deadline to meet. I needed to be writing!
So spur of the moment, I suggested we take it up a notch, for the evening, and have an #amwritingparty! And it WORKED! For some reason, the little twist helped me and the others who participated to find our writing grooves. We gave progress updates every half hour, cheered each other on, and even handed out rounds of ficticious shots. Time flew by - and so did the word counts. It was great!
I only meant for it to be a one night thing - because #amwriting is a fun place to hang out, believe me! But the party kind of took on a mind of its own. The next night it flared up again. And the next. And then the next. And it's been going strong ever since. And it's wonderful! There aren't really any "hosts" per se because people hop on and off as they please, but there are some really fun regulars--so be sure to check it out!
Here's what it's all about:
- #amwritingparty is a place for writers at any part of the writing process. Writing, planning, editing, querying, etc. (even just taking a break!)
- #amwritingparty is a 24/7 party! Though it really picks up in the evenings.
- Sometimes we share lines from our works in progress (WIPs). The other night we played #WIPFire every half hour where you'd scroll randomly to a place in your WIP and share that line. It was fun, and frequently hysterical.
- We have "Internet cocktails" pretty much every night - and Carol even sprinkles sparkly word dust out for writers who need motivation!
- We often make word count pledges (#pledge4k etc) or page edit pledges. Very beneficial to the whole writing process, I promise!
- #amwritingparty is a crew of really, really supportive writers - and anyone is invited to participate at any time!
Here are a few examples of the fun #amwritingparty comments made in recent days:
@cvaldezmiller: @_rachelsimon Let me offer you some sparkly wordy dust. Will help you write! *sprinkle sprinkle* Happy writing! #amwritingparty
@Danisidhe: Thansk to #amwritingparty I did really well yesterday so I'm committing to you guys that I will do another 1000 words of plot again today :D
@a_shostak: @cvaldezmiller How far are you in your writing goal today? I just finished the 4k ;) #amwritingparty
@lkgg: If I'm watching the antics of #amwritingparty I'm usually laughing my head off.
@WritingAgain: #amwritingparty Drinking is optional (for most people). Fun, however, is not. Call it a writing support group.
@kidswap: So I have a question. Do you edit or go back and edit right away or do you just motor through to the end then start edits? #amwritingparty
@AngelaButts: ain't no party like an #amwritingparty party. Is it just as jumping tonight?
@frankiediane: Thank you! So what are you working on? #amwritingparty I feel like I need to meet everybody. What's everyone writing?
@ThePreyers: @lkgg Nearly 900 when I started the chop-chop! "Thats" I will destroy you! Aaaaaaaa.... #amwritingparty
@lkgg: @ThePreyers "That" is one of my all time pitfalls. While during creation, I let them fall where they may & cut later. #amwritingparty
@jkoyanagi: @cvaldezmiller You can do it! It's going well. Still in the thick of edits. #amwritingparty
Okay - so that's #amwritingparty, in a nutshell! Hope you drop by - but either way... Cheers to happy writing :-)