"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Monday, December 21, 2009

A Writer's Tribute to Mistletoe

Sherrinda over at A Writer Wannabe came up with this super fun concept for writers who blog. Today, December 21st, is the Official Kissing Day Blogfest!!

In her own words,
I thought to myself, why don't we all post a kissing scene from our current WIP? All on the same day? We can hop around to all our friend's blogs and read about some sigh-producing, high-giddy-factor kisses. Who wouldn't love that? So here we go......
And I've decided to participate! The kissing scenes in Shattered were some of my favorite ones to write. But, I get nervous about posting sections from work that I want to publish. (NOT that I think anyone would steal it or anything! But because what if someday I have an agent who has a no posting policy?) So I wrote something new, just for Kissing Day Blogfest! It ended up surprising me--because I pretty much only write YA these days, but this scene came to me with adults in mind. Fun stuff! 

My Kissing Scene
“I can’t breathe... I forget how to breathe when you look at me the way you do.” She turned her head, unable to meet his eyes.

He stroked the side of her face and dragged a thumb across her lower lip, rough but, somehow, also tender.

“Look at me.”

She couldn’t.

“Look at me.” He lifted her chin so that she would.

“What are we doing? What is this?” Though no more than a whisper, her voice shook.

He held her gaze. “You know what this is.”

For a moment, silence. It pricked her neck and burned her cheeks. And then she felt nothing except for the pressure of his lips against hers.

The stubble on his chin against her neck, as his mouth traveled the line of her jaw.

The rays of warmth that blossomed in the center of her being, as his hands trailed along her spine... His thumbs, when they traced paths down her ribs to rest at to her hips.

The sharp intake of breath in the moment before his lips met hers a second time.

Only when she felt the wall at her back did she realize they’d moved. It blocked whatever path they’d been on, but didn’t matter.

More pressure. More frenzied. Driven with an urgency previously unexpressed. The last remnants of restraint shattered and she pressed herself against him, into him. Needing the connection. Drowning in it. He pressed back. And so the dance began.

Oh, yes. She knew what this was.

Hope you enjoyed :-) Now I'm off to stalk the other kissing excerpts! (Sike! Truthfully, I prescheduled this post, so chances are I'm still sleeping... BUT when I wake up I will so be reading all of the other excerpts!)

I'll leave you a photo of my own personal mistletoe moment... (From my wedding last year!) 


****Okay - I have to add this. You know how I put everything in wordle? Because I'm pretty much addicted to it? Well the kissing scene was no exception. And look how sweet the word cloud from it turned out:

♥ me

47 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SCENE!!!!

    WONDERFUL!! I was tingling along with her. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww love it and your pic is sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, you are AWESOME!! You have an amazing gift to capture that moment so beautifully. All the passion seeps through and latches on to the reader. Well done!!

    And can I just say that kiss at your wedding?? Amazing. Simply amazing. The love, the passion you feel for your husband was captured on film right there. No words necessary. Bravo! Keep this one handy. Makes the perfect cover for a book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really great. I like the urgency you created at the end. It had my heart fluttering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, no wonder you give such great CP notes--you are an AWESOME writer. Please, please let me read Shattered soon. (And props for the fear of posting snippets thing--you are RIGHT in my area of paranoia.)

    Oh, and the pic of you at your wedding? ADORABLE!!!!!!

    PS: Love the new blog template. Wow, I go away for one weekend and everything changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew! Hot...and sweet at the same time. Lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, good lady. It's almost flash fiction, too! :)

    Love the mirroring in the last line...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I could really feel the intensity of the moment. Love the wedding pic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed that scene :) Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The intensity was definitely there! I loved, loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, overcome with sweetness and kisses! Beautiful snippet, and that photo is gorgeous. A very pretty wordle too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last line of the scene is my favorite. And loveee the wordle image!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this one the best so far. Simple, elegant, emotive. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm such a wordle fan, too! i do all my little icons in wordle.

    great excerpt. thanks for sharing!
    jeannie
    Where Romance Meets Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe you need to write an adult book. Cuz if its like that scene I would be your biggest fan. :) And I love the wedding photo. How sweet.
    Karen’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awe, I love a man's stubble against my face. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww! I've been out all day shopping & at the movies (Avatar is amazing by the way) and coming back to these comments just made my night! Thanks everyone :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. #1: I love your kiss on your wedding day. You just took that kiss right from him!

    #2: I love the line - And so the dance began.

    #3: I never heard of wordle, but now I love that too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this scene!! I could practically feel the stubble against my neck too lol!! And your wedding kiss is so freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That. Was. Absolutely. Fabulous! I loved it. I want more and I want it now!! Well done! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great scene and love the pic! And I don't blame you about not posting something from your WIP. I made the same decision today because i'm paranoid.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa! Very very very well written.

    Love the pic too. It looks like you're about to eat your new husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. whew...some kiss - both in writing and in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, this gave me chills! Wonderfully done. And I absolutely LOVE 'And so the dance began'.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you take your time with this--your use of white space to take us through the moment in pieces just makes it that much better. Great scene!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I think this is my favorite kissing scene posted today (and I've read a LOT). You had me hooked with the first line!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Sara, I think I am going to have to lick my fingers to get the sugar off. This was sweet. I want to read more...did they or didn't they. Oh yeah darlin' she knew what this was.

    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, that was very sigh worthy. So sweet and tender. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love soft stubble too. Very nice. Beautiful picture of you on your wedding day. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love how the last statement answers the question posed at the beginning. What is this? Oh she knows, all right!

    Thanks for visiting my post and your encouraging comments.

    Great wedding smooch, too. Ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A lovely scene! I like how it ends, leaving us wondering even though she no longer is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Someone please pass me something cold to drink and fast! That was great =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I love the wordle from your kissing scene!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome kissing scene! It was very, very HOT. Oh, and you have great taste in music. I could stay on your page all day listening to the playlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh! That was lovely. So intense!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great scene! Maybe you should try your hand at romance books! I just loved your picture!!!! So I take it you are having/or had an anniversary about now? It definitely looks like you were ready for your honeymoon! ;) Thanks for posting such a great scene and making this blogfest so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh! That was SO GOOD! You're an excellent writer and I loved reading that. Mmmmhmmmm, rough kisses are very exciting. *wink*

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ah, love! There's nothing like it in the world and you certainly penned it well! Very cute picture too. Happy one year anniversary (belated?)!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I had so much fun reading this scene! I'm addicted to wordle as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your last line rocks and I love the whole thumb on the lips visual.

    By the way, your wedding picture is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I only now got a chance to look at *your* scene...how lovely! And that photo--completely awesome. :) All in all, a very sweet and perfect tip of the hat to Mistletoe.

    Oh, and love the heart after your name--that's how I used to sign my name when I was younger! Now it's usually Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sara - I have a shiny, new award waiting for you at my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Outstanding scene, Sara. It really is all about the kiss and you've captured the moment perfectly. Love the picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is a great scene! I love the end, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, I really loved your scene AND that hot pic of you and your hubby. Girl, you grabbed him right up didn't you? Lol.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. My hat's off to you hun.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)