"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Recommendation: THE LIPSTICK LAWS

Okay, so, you know how sometimes you read a book and the main character just grips you? This is what happened to me when I read The Lipstick Laws, by Amy Holder. Seriously, it's absolutely NO wonder that the television rights sold to Teri Weinberg's Yellow Brick Road Productions. (Uh, can you say: The Office, Ugly Betty, The Tudors? . . .)

My review is below, but make sure to stop back by tomorrow! Amy will be here for an interview--aaaaand I'll have some swaggity swag to give away.

(From GoodreadsAt Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   

For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   

But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?

MY thoughts:

I made the mistake of starting The Lipstick Laws at 11pm. And I was TIRED the next day because I read until I was finished with it. 

I LOVED this book.

I was cracking up from page one. No, paragraph one. No, 
sentence one. Amy Holder's funny meter for girls reminded me a lot of Don Calame's funny meter for boys (in his book Swim the Fly) in that I laughed almost once (or more) a page--and many of those times out loud.

There are many great things about this book, but my absolute favorite is the main character, April Bowers. She's quirky and snarky and obsessed with stuffing her bra. (Get why this might have been so funny yet?) She falls under the spell of what it's like to be popular--and does things she doesn't want to, but not in that spineless way I've read in other books. She stays true to character (at least in her thoughts) the entire time. Amy created a character flawed enough to drop believably into the world of popularity—but funny and sweet enough to keep me rooting for her, regardless of the bad decisions she stumbles into.

The story's fast-paced and the prose is smooth. It's an easy read, almost effortless in the way the words flow across the page.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the movie Mean Girls (um, who didn't???) I can't wait to see what Amy's got coming next! 


So, your mission (should you choose to accept, and omg you'd better . . .) is to go out and get yourself a copy PRONTO :)  Find The Lipstick Laws HERE.

12 comments:

  1. I never read books in one sitting.

    I wouldn't normally read something like this, but you do make it sound interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! You read it all in one sitting!? Man, that alone makes me want to run out and get it right now but with an awesome review of it too!? Yikes, definitely on my list now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I need to burn this post within 30 seconds now that I've opened it? I choose to accept the mission! *slips on cool shades*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh another recommendation!! I love humor. I shall check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great review! I must check out this book - I've heard loads of good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny and fast-paces? That's like chocolate to me. Guess I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a YA author too, and always looking for great books to read. I hate when I see one like this and the premise is SO unique and fun that I'm mad at myself for not coming up with it myself. And then, after I get over that, I feel inspired!!! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book. I love funny. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding to TBR list - I LOVED Swim the Fly - sounds like I'll love this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love funny and I love those red lips on the cover! Will have to read!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh -- cool! Can't wait to read it! And can't wait for the author interview tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been waiting and wishing for this book since I saw it in the beginning of this year.
    Many good review about this book

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)