"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Monday, May 23, 2011

Sometimes When I Write . . .

I think so much and stretch my brain in so many directions--using, abusing, and working it out so hard--I swear I'm surprised I haven't developed telekinetic powers yet.

Seriously, I feel like I should be able to look across the room and dead lift one of my bookcases with just my eyes.

Or at least a Twizzler or something. I have plenty of those around to practice with.




* stares at Twizzlers *




* stares at Twizzlers *




* stares at Twizzlers *





* eyes go dry *




* has to blink *




* stares at Twizzlers *






But nope.

That picture is just a picture.

I know. You were all excited there for a second, right? Wait. What do you mean that doesn't look like a floating pack of Twizzlers?

Ummmmm, anyway, my point is . . . pretty much already covered in the first sentence.

I love the thought process though, the mental workouts. Making pieces fit together, creating rules and figuring out how to make my plot work within them. Pushing my characters to grow--when, oh holy mattress, they can be so stubborn. It all makes me happy, makes me thrive. So I'm not really complaining. I'm just saying: I can't believe I haven't developed some sort of mental super power by now.

Anyone else feel this way?  

19 comments:

  1. Yes. I don't think my powers would be so helpful, though. Probably more along the lines of spontaneous combustion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder when my mental power will take over. I waiting for something to just fly across the room without me touching it.
    I know what you mean, and that Twizzler pack is totally floating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Um, did you say something? All I can think about is how much I want some Twizzlers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for my mental powers to magically write the next book while I take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. Those Twizzlers were like in my face. LOL.

    I feel that way sometimes too --- like there should be steam coming out of my ears from all the "work" going on in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, "oh holy mattress"... I love it. And yes, I totally hear you on this! My brain gets exhausted with everything I put it through sometimes. We should definitely be rewarded with SOME sort of super power...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing is, I believe when we think think think in our thoughtful spot, we DO have superpowers. Imagination IS a superpower.
    As writers we are universe creators, world inventors, technology architects, creature developers, life affirmers, mind expanders, dream builders, wish fulfillers, life changers, time travelers, problem solvers, possibility originators, gadget devisers, space travelers, wraith wranglers... oh the limitless magnificence!...
    we have every superpower at our fingertips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Lola! Imagination IS a superpower. There would be space stations or ipods or Twizzlers without it.

    I do think sometimes, though, that thinking so much about plotting and archetypes and human behavior has made me some sort of psychic, though. Not like the real kind of psychic, but more like, because I'm always looking three steps down the road in stories, I'm always looking three steps down the road in real life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up, silly girl. :) How many bags of these are we going to bring to Annapolis?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, yes. I would have thought I'd have the ability to transmit my thoughts to the page but, alas, trying only gives me a headache.

    Strangely, I have an intense craving for Twizzlers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm, YEAH. I say this a lot, but it's a writer thing. If we were doing anything else people would probably call the police or at least the guys with the white coats...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaha! This made me laugh in the middle of work. Awesome :) And true! I hope you do develop mental powers. Then we will know there is some hope of being a super hero ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. man, i'd settle just for an easier time revising! But yeah, super powers would be totally badass!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, that totally looks like floating Twizzlers! And yes, I feel like I have mental powers from all my writing and revising.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how my brain feels tired out after a day of writing or revising. I'm surprised our heads don't get bigger as brain muscles develop!
    Can't wait to read your review of Divergent tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes the whole process is intoxicating to me. I love the way it makes me feel. Like I can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Twizzlers, yum. Now I want.

    My brain sure gets a workout. I must have some secret hidden powers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh holy mattress...I heart you.

    Yes-I love watching my characters grow and making the pieces fit together. I say that's pretty much a super power. Or at least the Force. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always had the irrational fear that I will someday get knocked out and wake up thinking that I'm a character in one of my novels. Because, of course, when I'm writing I'm like living in the head of my character. That could be so awkward. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)