"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Divergent

Had you asked me a week ago, how to spell divergent, I would have started with the letter D. Today, though, I think it starts with the letter A.

Yep.

That's right.

How do you spell Divergent?

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G


I know, I know. I'm a little late to this party. But my TBR is ginormous. And it took me a minute to make my way to Divergent, by Veronica Roth.

And what a hot mistake that was. If you haven't read it yet, because it's not at the top of your TBR? BUMP IT, ASAP. Don't wait another month, another week, another day. Because I'm telling you now, I will say I told you so. And I'll stick my tongue out and wag my fingers from my ears, too.

Okay, so you start off learning that there are these five factions: Dauntless (the brave), Candor (the honest), Erudite (the intellectual), Amnity (the peaceful), Abnegation (the selfless). When you turn sixteen, you have to take a test which will indicate which faction you're fitted for. (Though, the decision is ultimately yours to make.) But the test is sooooo super cool, and also sooooo super creepy. When Beatrice's test began, I was sucked into the book with no chance of escape.

The choices Beatrice (aka Tris) makes and the consequences that follow are stunning to read. I found my heart rate increasing and my mouth hanging open on several occasions. And not only from Tris's actions. All of the characters are complicated and intriguing. Oh--and I don't think I've ever hated a character as quickly as I hated Eric. Seriously, you'll see. Just wait. Even typing his name gives me a little venomous charge in my veins.

The world building is . . . Honestly, I find myself at a loss with how to explain how thorough and brilliant and seamless it is. Well, I guess I just did. But still. Those words barely do Veronica's talent justice.

Basically, what it comes down to is this: Divergent is one part Hunger Games, one part Ender's Game, one part Lord of the Fliesand eleventy bajillion parts phenomenal. If you're one of the few who haven't read it yet, you need to fix that situation, PRONTO. (Or, go read Carol's review, if that didn't convince you. Seriously, I dove into Divergent within ONE day of reading it.)

PS. Debra Driza (Houndrat) is having a Divergent Faction-of-the-Week Challenge. CLICK HERE to check it out :)

17 comments:

  1. This is the same reaction after reading Divergent! I second this review. AH-MAY-ZIIIINGGG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I third this review--this book is incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading DIVERGENT. Loved how diverse the characters were and loved Four!

    Where can I find a Four in my life? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not yet read the book, but thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great review! I read the first 100 pages or so online when it was posted, but I haven't bought the book yet. I might just have to bump it up on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard all kinds of wonderful things about this book! Yes, need to add it to my ever growing TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this so bad!!! Think I will go buy it... NOW. Thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I really need to read this! I just finished Delirium and LOVED IT! Can't wait to dig into this one.

    FYI Blogger hates me today so I can only post anonymously. Boo. Lindsay @ Tiptoe-Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this! You make it sound very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I know that you don't recommend books unless you REALLY recommend them, so def want to check this out. Happy packing, chickadee! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm one of the who people who haven't yet read it. I need to remedy that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I jokingly posted on Twitter that I needed someone to buy it for me because I was on a book buying freeze and I got THREE copies in the mail. That's how passionate people are about this book. I love it.

    So of course I read it ASAP and loved the crap out of it. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished this book today! And oh my goodness, I'm in love with it. And with Four. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!! AMAZING just doesn't do it justice, does it?! I love your comment "eleventy bajillion parts phenomenal" - perfect!! I'm reviewing it Saturday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Somehow it bumped up pretty fast to the top of my tbr pile too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It jumped to the top of my pile too. I loved it (though I wasn't so hooked on it in the beginning). Now I have a craving to get a tattoo. :D

    I loved that it wasn't a cliffhanger ending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got my copy in the mail, and am torturing myself with it - it's my reward when I finally get to the new midpoint of my WIP. Almost there, but now your review is making the waiting eleventy bajillion times worse.

    Can't. Wait.

    PS - great review - I love your energy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)