"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The *Long* Road to WFC 2010!

Umsoyeah.

For some reason or another, when I decided to go to WFC (World Fantasy Con, in case you're wondering) I decided I'd forgo flying and drive to Ohio.

From Virginia.

Yup. That's a 7+ hour drive. What the heck was I thinking?

Seriously, do you know? Because I don't.

The good news though is that I made it here in one piece*, and I got to stop to hang out with Alexandra Shostak (and visit a spooktakular haunted insane asylum**) along the way.

AND, the drive really wasn't that bad because look at the pretty scenery*** I had to keep my eyes happy along the way!




I also spent hours upon hours creating characters for the story I'm going to write after my WIP is finished--and I worked out some of the kinks in my current WIP. I virtually road-tripped (on the phone) with Cristin Terrill, because she was driving to Texas, so we shared in the pain of long drives... All in all, it was a pretty good time!****

Today I'm waiting for my roommates to get here (Carolina Valdez Miller & Karen Hooper) and, um, without giving too much away, I'm just gonna say we're totally gonna have one of the funnest***** rooms ever!****** 

So my weekend is set here in Ohio. What are you up to? Any big plans?

*If you've ever driven with me, you'll understand why this is an amazing accomplishment.
**More on the asylum later! I have fun pics with Alexandra, but I'm wearing an outfit I plan to wear at WFC and didn't want anyone to see because what if I meet someone at the con and they looked at my blog and think I'm a dork for rewearing an outfit or something... Crap, I just kinda gave it away anyway, didn't I? Dang it.
***Clearly I'm not a professional "from a moving car" photographer, but still. You get the drift :)
****Plus, I may or may not have entertained myself by jamming out and singing at the top of my lungs to 80s songs. I also may or may not have made videos, which you may or may not be allowed to see at some point in the future... 
*****Yeah, yeah. You say most fun, I say funnest. Check it: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/is-funnest-a-word.aspx
******Picture proof to come later ;)

Thanks for stopping by!
  Sara

19 comments:

  1. If you didn't want to talk to me anymore you could've just said so. No need to pretend you were driving through a "bad reception area."

    I'm all packed. Airport here I come. See you soon!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first, you've got a new picture up! I like it. It's very "professional author", but also "nice lady".

    And have fun at WFC! I like Ohio, but I might be biased; I'm from there. It sounds like you ladies are set to have a great time! Looking forward to photos and videos soon! (And I'm with you on the '80s songs. It was a good decade.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love road trips! This time of year is perfect for one. I made the mistake once though to agree to drive straight from Missouri to South Carolina...yeah 17 hours in a car is never a good idea!

    I'm excited to see more of your visit. I've never heard of WFC but it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colors are absolutely breathtaking--what a great time for a road trip! Can't wait to hear about the rest of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously jealous! First, WFC (green with envy). Second, that gorgeous scenery (wow!). Third, you get to room and spend time with Carolina and Karen!!! Yep. Definitely feeling some envy here. :-)

    P.S. I LOOOVE the new avatar picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty pictures! I bet it was a neat drive b/c of all the colors. Have fun! Totally jealous right now of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS.

    Also, uh, I BETTER get texted updates. Regularly. And give Carol and Karen a hug for me. And...*sobs* Ahh--I so wish I were there!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It may have a been long, but it looks like a beautiful ride.

    Have a wonderful time.

    If you get a chance, I'm hosting a Halloween Haunting at my blog "Substitute Teacher's Saga" from 10/28-11/1 if you want to join in. There are prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your journey there was safe (and pretty, and friend visiting).

    Have FUN...and enjoy the Freak Show!

    Say hi to the girls for me. Give Carol a big *HUG* for me. (tell her to back away from the socks)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds awesome! Wish I could have gone this year - we could have carpooled. ;-)

    Have fun and maybe we can snag lunch when you get back. (And keep an eye out for my Brush of Darkness bookmarks - I sent some there to be put on a table somewhere. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you're having a fun time already! Enjoy your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, Lola cracks me up. I bet she'll love our picture with my green socks...ha!

    It was good to see you! So glad at least the scenery was lovely for you, even if the drive was long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! Hope you're having an awesome time in Ohio. Is that THE Carolina Valdez Miller! You do so name drop! Love her work.

    The pictures are beautiful. I love long road trips - all the non-stop junk food, music, photos - great. Beats flying any day if you can spare the time.

    Love your National Novel WRAP-UP Month. NaNo is fun. My second year. All going well.

    Thanks for dropping by and following..:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I'm glad to have your blog to catch up with you! Good luck wrapping it up! Call me!

    Love,
    Your Sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WFC rules! I hope we all meet up there again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you're having a great time. Those pics are so pretty. Can't wait to hear how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to road trip *-* Amazing landscape

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG a haunted insane asylum. So freaking awesome. I'm so jealous of your fun road trip, however, Kristen Yard and I are having a spectacularly awesome time courtesy of Jared Leto and the fact that he ditched us to go the EMA's in Europe.

    We're not bitter at all. :)

    Hope you had a blast!

    And PS: I love your little sidebar about this being an award free blog. :) I think I shall take on that same mantra.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)