"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Raindrops on Roses/Whiskers on Kittens



2010 is right around the corner! I have no doubt it's going to be a fabulous year--but I wanted to take a moment to reflect on 2009 before it's gone.

My Favorite Things from 2009

YA BOOKS:
  1. Shiver
  2. Hunger Games
  3. Lipstick Apology
INDUSTRY BOOKS:
  1. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
  2. The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
  3. 2010 Guide to Literary Agents
WRITING (REFERENCE) WEBSITES:
  1. Thesaurus.com
  2. Wordle
  3. Wikipedia
WRITING (INDUSTRY) BLOGS:
  1. Nathan Bransford
  2. http://www.agentquery.com/
  3. Writer Beware Blogs
PERSONAL DECISIONS:
  1. Quit teaching to write full-time (a HUGE thank you to my awesome husband for this one too!)
  2. Start a writing blog
  3. Check out twitter... where I met fabulous writers and my super awesome CPs!
WRITING BUDDIES:
Okay, so I love all my writing buddies! But four in particular have really rocked my world this year...
NON-WRITING WEBSITES:
  1. Google
  2. Facebook
  3. Fark.com
MOVIES:
  1. Avatar... HANDS DOWN
  2. Taken
  3. The Hangover/X-Men Origins: Wolverine/Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (what? I couldn't choose!!)
VACATION:
  1. My honeymoon in St. Lucia


  2. My first ever trip to Boston


  3. Christmas in Kentucky with my in-laws and ADORABLE nephews & nieces!


GIFTS:
  1. My brand new Canon Rebel XSi!! Count on my other (photography) blog (Simply Saradise) to be updated on a regular basis.


  2. My beautiful desk (birthday present from Nelson)


  3. The wedding album that my mom made for us

MOMENTS:
  • My youngest sister Kelsey's wedding in the Outer Banks


  • A day spent in Annapolis with Nelson
  • An extended 6-week visit from my other sister, Liz, over the holidays
  • FINISHING SHATTERED!! (The first draft anyway)

BABBLING FLOW POSTS:
  1. Knowing Your Characters... Inside AND Out
  2. Literary vs Commercial Fiction
  3. Twilight Bashers

Okay, this is my last post until 2010!! Happy New Years everyone!!

♥ me

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely post to end 2009.

    You are an inspiration to all us aspiring authors.

    All the very best for 2010, honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY need to read Hunger Games. I read the title EVERYWHERE. Yay for such a good year. Hope 2010 is just as awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeze, what is with Hunger Games? It IS everywhere. If this was all 2009 I can't imagine how cool your 2010 will be.

    I love how happy and positive you always are. My fav thing abt this year was finishing my MS too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that you quit teaching this year, too! I "met" someone new through my blog today who also quit teaching this year and signed an agent. LOVE Hunger Games, too. Have you read Catching Fire yet? It's awesome. Have a happy New Year's and see ya next year:)It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links to your back issues, good lady. I quite enjoyed reading 'em, especially the Literary vs. Commercial Fiction one. Nicely done!

    Happy New Year, and best of luck with the editing! (Are you going to start an #ameditingparty now?)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very uplifting post! When I look back on my year, all I see is stress-wedding-stress. Lol!

    Congrats on quitting your job to write full time! (Which is now your job anyway) Can't wait until I get to quit mine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to say goodbye to 2009 before ushering in 2010. :) It looks like you had a fabulous year, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a wonderful, busy year in 2009... hoping 2010 is even better!

    On a completely separate note, you have excellent taste in movies. I also loved Avatar. I expected it to be terrible, and I was pleasantly surprised. Boondock Saints II did not live up to the original, but was still really good, too (although really, I'm in it for the hot brothers with the Irish accents, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic year for you! I hope 2010 is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reading The Hunger Games right now and I love it! Good choice. And I didn't know you used to be a teacher! Look at that. Teaching just breeds writing, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've had such a great year - what a lot of great moments. I hope 2010 brings you much more of the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea that you QUIT to write full-time. See? I do learn something every day. Nor did I know that I was one of your favorite writer ppl. Thanks so much. Means a lot. You are a very talented writer and I am sure you will do well. A supportive (and cute) hubby, great new desk and camera will all come in handy! :-) Keep up the great work and congrats on completing your first novel. I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH my gosh, you had the same idea as I did!!! I love your favorite things :)

    Happy New Year, and may it bring you and your family every success :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)