"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Crit Partners Make the World Go Round

*
If you don't have a crit partner or group--GET ONE.

Not to sound bossy or anything... but please (pretty please with a cherry on top) take my advice today!

Don't know how to find one? Well, if you're reading this--you're already off to a good start, because actively particpating in the writing blogosphere is exactly what opened the door for me. And get on twitter if you're not already.  Connect with other writers who are looking for the same thing. There are lots out there!

Don't rush into it. Take the time to get to know people. Because believe you me (says one vain insecure writer to the next) constructive criticism can be really hard to take. But when it comes from people you trust it's invaluable.

Here's a GREAT link for people looking for Crit Partners! CRIT PARTNER WANT ADS (Thanks to Calista!)

Here, in a nutshell, is how I look at it:

Good CPs will tell you honestly when a dress makes you look fat...
Then they'll introduce you to the fabulous world of spanx.


In case you couldn't tell, I received feedback from two of my CPs (and a beta as well). Their comments were insighful and honest. And wonderful. SHATTERED will be leaps and bounds better thanks to their input.

Lata gatas... I'm off start my next round of revisions!

♥ me

22 comments:

  1. You are so right! I just started with a crit group and they have proven invaluable! Glad you found people who can help your MS grow and be the best it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Have fun revising and making your WIP shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to start a crit group! It sounds so fun and, yet, scary at the same time. : )

    Good luck with Shattered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Congrats on getting good feedback too! I look forward to reading Shattered one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your picture made me smile. What exactly is a beta reader?? Off to check out your contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I need one. I just don't have the time to return the favor. I'm thinking of hiring a writing coach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant advice. I know I need a crit partner, I feel everyone has been paired up without me. :( Someone will come along, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my critique group! I think EVERYONE can benefit from a great critique partner or group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, right, right! Getting partners is the best thing I've ever done for myself as a writer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a wonderful critique group for about five years. One by one they stopped writing and I am so lost. I loved having a monthly deadline with them. I still talk to them and one will still critique anything I want but I still miss having a group.


    I am meeting some great people on Twitter and through these blogs so maybe I will get to be a part of a group again. Great post.


    Sincerely,

    Maribeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just joined a crit group and they're fabulous! glad yours are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, lovie, I hope so. I hope they help. I'm a first timer at this myself, so it's hard to know how to go about it. I hope hope hope they are useful to you. And I can't wait to see how you revise it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll second this sentiment - everyone should find a critique group. My writing is nowhere near perfect, but my crit partners have helped me sooooo much since I joined them. Best writing-related decision I've made so far! Glad to hear you have great crit partners too, and I'm really looking forward to reading Shattered one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yayyyyy crit groups! My novel wouldn't be in existence without the FNC!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Critique groups definitely rock! I love mine! LOVE! Best thing ever for my writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Valuable advice. It's always hard though letting go of your pride when handing over your WIP for others to peruse. I must get over myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crit group = priceless. Even if I didn't get such excellent critiques from them, I'd still go, just to drink wine and talk writing.

    Learning to take the criticism is quite possibly the best part of the whole deal, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, yay I'm glad so many of you guys have such great CPs/groups!

    T.Anne, I know what you mean--it's hard to find time for everything! But maybe there's another writer out there who's as busy as you are that would understand if you needed a lot of extra time to do critiques?

    Angie Kate, aw :( You're an awesome writer! I'm sure there are TONS of people out there who would love to crit with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crit partners rock!!! I LOVE mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with revisions, and I actually just joined a crit. group!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I have awesome CP's (ONE in particular--nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more!)

    Glad you're getting excellent feedback. Now share! Me. Want. Now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally agree. They are one of the most important things next to the story itself. I've been lucky enough to get a couple great ones! Good luck with the revisions :o)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)