"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Query Workshop (and I Hate Geek Squad)

Just thought I'd pass this along... If you need help with a query, Writer's Digest is offering an online query workshop on January 28th.

It's on Thursday, January 28, at 1 p.m. Eastern (12 pm Central, 11 am Mountain, 10 am Pacific) and it runs for 90 minutes. The cost is $79.00 and the presenter is Jane Friedman, publisher/editorial director of Writer's Digest.

I took this workshop back in November, and I have to tell you... It was amazing. If we weren't already blog friends back then, here's the link to the summary I posted.

The best part about the workshop (aside from Jane's absolutely stellar knowledge about the process) is that:
All registrants are invited to submit a 1-page query letter in advance of the event. All submitted queries are guaranteed a critique.

If you're interested, sign up here.


*****
In other, completely unrelated news, I'm contemplating a part-time job so that I can buy one of these babies:

Any suggested job places? I'm thinking about Borders maybe.

Because, perhaps you guessed it but the dumb-dumbs at Geek Squad have effed up, yet again with my Dell laptop. They've now had it since December 23rd. And I never want to have to deal with them again.

Oh, what's that I read/see? There are major complaints about Geek Squad all over?



Oh, and in addition to a MacBook Pro... I'm also considering purchasing and wearing this EVERY DAY.


♥ me

13 comments:

  1. I have a macbook pro and let me just say, I LOVE IT! I try not to caress it too much but it is like my baby. And thanks for letting me know about the query workshop. No doubt I'll be going through query hell soon. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having your computer is horrible. Hopefully you've got something you love soon!

    I've heard of this query workshop before. It sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I hope you get this sorted out soon!

    I wish I would have done something like a query workshop back when I was in that process - I wonder how much faster I could have gotten representation? This sounds like an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should definitely wear the T-shirt - maybe when you get to FINALLY pick up your laptop.

    I say get a Mac! I love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to confess to a bit of Mac lust. Since I'm OS-agnostic (I can run Windows or Linux and not care much either way), I could totally switch. Then I'd even be trendy. It'd give me one more reason to look down my nose at people.

    Well, I usually make it a policy not to look down my nose at people, 'cause being short and all, I have to tilt my head back really far to look down my nose at anyone's face. Kind of takes away from the dignity of the whole thing. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the process of saving up for a Mac Book. Seriously, my Dell Inspiron is looking pretty sad these days (and I've gotten TWO blue screens of death, eeek!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of those babies :)

    Recommend it highly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I feel for you! (I have a Mac, AND I LOVE IT!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geek Squad sucks. I can't believe they still have your computer! :(

    On a happier note, I left you something on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! I just got my Macbook this weekend and I'm in LOVE! Seriously, you have to get one. They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, Macs scare me--I'm so used to PCs. But that's totally horrible about Geek Squad and your computer. Do you have any friends or family members who are good with computers? I usually ask those people before I bother with a "professional"--and even then, I go to a local professional rather than a commercial one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness...what a readful experience. I'm so sorry about your laptop. I don't blame you for wanting to jus forget it and get a new one. Erggg...

    But I have no knowledge of Macs. I wouldn't know how to use one at all. Still, it's a beauty to look at--so I say go for it! As for a job, you know what my favorite job was? Okay, aside from teaching, which was really cool, I really enjoyed my job at Dairy Queen in high school. I mean, my boss was a tool, but who wouldn't love working wih ice cream? Every day, I went home with my arms all splattered with swee, sugary dairy. It was like saving a treat for later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww sorry about the computer. I'm actually engaged to a former Geek... and even though he's computer brilliant and has resuscitated my laptop from death multiple times, he's definitely the exception and not the rule.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)