"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Saradise

Usually I celebrate the month of September as "Saradise". Yes, that's right... It's my birth month and I celebrate the entire 30 days.  Okay, not really--but I pretend to... and I do really call the month Saradise, I have for years. (My photography blog--very much in need of an update--is also called Simply Saradise.)

But, I've decided* to assign another meaning to the my word. From now on, whenever I say I'm in Saradise, I mean that I've outlined a chunk of time (days, weeks, etc) in my planner during which working on my WIP(s) will take top priority. I will write or revise every single day--for as many hours as I am able. And the first Saradise is coming very soon, because...

The month without my laptop blew. I mean, obviously you already know how I felt because I whined about it often. But I didn't write at all--well, I outlined the plot for my new WIP for a couple days, but that's IT. And I am seriously lacking the motivation to get back into things. I have amazing feedback for Shattered and I need to go through it all and revise, revise, revise! I need to perfect my query. I need to write my synopsis. I need to be ready to find. an. agent.

But to do all of that, I really need to light the proverbial fire under my ass! Enter Saradise. So here, my briends (another Sara word I'm trying out... I started with "b-friends" but it sounded too much like boyfriends, ha) I pledge to you that from February 8-28**, I will be in Saradise. During Saradise I will complete the aforementioned things and, if I'm able to finish, will continue to work on my new WIP.

The best part is that Carol and Alexandra are going to do it with me!! (Though they're, of course, not required to call it Saradise!) And if any of you find yourselves lacking the drive to write (or revise) these days, or you just feel like you could use a jumpstart--the more the merrier/motivational!

Saradise Countdown: 11 Days!!

Saradise
par-a-dise
[par-uh-dahys, -dahyz]  
/ˈpærəˌdaɪs, -ˌdaɪz/
.

-noun
1. a period of time in which Sara makes writing/revising her TOP priority: She barely came up for air during Saradise.
2. a state of intense WIP concentration: Don't bother calling, she's in Saradise right now--the only thing she'll answer is the question her MC asks in her head.
3. another name for the month of September: Nelson, don't forget to give your wife a present each of the 30 days of Saradise--and make the big one on the 16th!



♥ me


*I actually decided this after nano--because even though I was a nanorebel and didn't follow the rules, it was so effective to keep me on track! I thought I mentioned it in a post somewhere, but I can't find it... Oh well!
**I'm starting on Feb. 8 because I'll be in Miami for the first week of the month! 

17 comments:

  1. You re too cute! Saradise sounds like a great idea, and having others do it with you is smart. That's quite a list, but you. can. do. it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I might have to join in - that is if you really meant it about "the more, the merrier"!

    I really need to get my focus back on revising! Good luck with the month and congrats again on the new laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Saradise!!!! Feeling pumped! Woo-hooo! Gonna get some serious work done. We. Can. DO. IT!!!!!! (Hooray for laptops that work!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, count me in. I really need some others to hold me accountable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilaridise does not sound nearly as dreamy or romantic as Saradise! Love it! Happy early birthday! I'm sure it will be an awesome one!!! Kick that WIP in its backside!

    xoxo -- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats adorable! yay for being able to work on your Wip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so cute (and I love that the girl in the pic has a Mac!)

    And I guess I'm always in Saradise (though is it Shannadise for me? Doesn't have the same ring to it) trying to get this draft ready to be queried, so count me in, cause I'm not there yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea so much that I may join you, too. If that's all right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! I love "Saradise" - what a great idea - you'll rock with your new computer!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, only you can get away with that, m'dear. "Simondise" doesn't work. Sounds like a galvanizing process...

    Does tweeting about your progress count as progress? I totally think it does. :)

    Good luck, good lady. You can do eet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I'm going to join you and call it Kareadise. :) It will start as soon as I get back fom NYC this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oo I might join! But Heatherdise doesn't sound very good...WIPadise? LOL, ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chyeaaaa! I need that, especially since I uh... have not written in like... 4 days. (Well, that's a lie. I've written for school.) My poor WIPs are languishing half finished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it Saradise - perfect name! I could probably use some Saradise in my story as well. Been distracted by new nad pretty things ;o)

    Good luck to you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good plan, although will we hear from you at all in that intense time period of focus? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came here from Heather's blog...I decided to do this on a whim last week, and I love that you and others are doing it "officially!" Yay for cracking down in Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES! I'd love to be in on the accountability log! jessica.love at gmail :-D

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)